Oh summertime! Please don’t go away just yet! Kind of crazy that we are quickly approaching Labor Day! Two weeks away from the last long weekend of summer. Seriously, how did that happen? And can we slow it down just a little bit? I actually took this weekend to: take a break from running; relax; detox; and get through my “to do” list. Still going through an annoying phase of insomnia and hoping that passes real soon. Otherwise, I’m happy to say, that all of the above were accomplished. High-Fives to ME!
The past week there were lots of awesome things going on in the world of She Rocks Fitness, so let’s take a look, because I want to share, whether you like it or not.
- Check out my interview with Kristin from Shore to Run on Social Jersey’s website regarding the different Boot Camps that I offer to clients in the New Jersey area + a quick 20-Minute workout that you can of course do ANYWHERE! Thank you Kristin for choosing to spotlight me! It was greatly appreciated;
- I haven’t met this woman, but hoping to next time I’m back up on Nantucket! Holly is the author of this AWESOME blog The Nantucket BlACKbook! It’s a great site that keeps you in the loop about shopping, food, people, and of course how to stay active on Nantucket! I’ve asked Holly if I could contribute monthly to the site, so keep an eye out for fun workouts, recipes, and health tips. Here’s my first article that I contributed: the Hangover Workout! I love this workout and again it requires just a jump rope, so you can do this workout ANYWHERE!
- I’ve been devouring this delicious NEW peanut butter flavor thanks to Planter’s. They sent me a jar of their new flavor and I’ve used it on protein pancakes and my pumpkin microwave muffin and it’s fabulous. Here’s the nutritional information on the NUT*rition Peanut Butter. I’m just about done with the jar and as always sad to see this one end.
- The “Strong is Beautiful” t-shirts are all OVER the country and it’s pretty darn awesome to see this on so many beautiful, STRONG, and fit women. I love seeing tweets, posts, and pictures as to who is wearing them and where. My good friend Kalli, the writer of Fit and Forty Something has been rocking this shirt all the way in CA! And Jess Allen, the writer of Blonde Ponytail rocked my shirt for her presentation on “Healthy Body Images”! High-Fives to that! Thanks ladies for supporting She Rocks Fitness! Love you both!
- And if you missed my Boot Camp Workout that I posted on Saturday, you should TOTALLY give it a shot! I’m going to do it this afternoon in between clients. I absolutely HATE burpees, so I’m not looking forward to this, but this workout will be nice switch up to my routine.
OKAY, so I’ve given you 3 workouts! HOLY COW! No EXCUSES! Let me know which one you try out and how you feel after. Have a great start to the new week and feel free to e-mail me with any questions or concerns that you may have. I love hearing from all of you. Ciao!
Good Morning Saturday! I’m heading over to the yoga studio for a 7:30 AM class. I’ve been putting in a lot of miles on the pavement the past few weeks and it’s time to calm it down a bit and focus on strength and stretching. Plus, my knees have been bothering me a little bit. Need to LISTEN to my body! It’s been over a year since I have done any running races and I’m FINALLY getting the itch to sign up for some come September and Fall and I’m really looking forward to it. When it comes to training for events, I don’t like to force it. If I’m feeling it, I do it, if I’m not, why train for something you just aren’t into? Training your body should be FUN! Well sometimes it isn’t always fun, but for most of the time, we love doing it. So when I started talking to fellow runners about sharing their speed workouts with me, I knew it was a sign/feeling, that it’s time to challenge myself and sign up for some runs. First one on the list is the ZOOMA Cape Cod Half Marathon on Saturday, September 22nd! I’m an Ambassador for this wonderful group of women. Check out my profile here. I’m also thinking of doing a couple of Rock n’ Roll 1/2 Marathons, because it gives me an excuse to travel. Cities on my list: Savannah, Nashville, Austin, and Wine Country! Gosh that’s an awesome list. HA!
I also wanted to share this boot camp style workout that I tortured my “Corporate Boot Camp” clients with this past Wednesday. It’s intense, a sweaty mess, calorie scorching, requires no equipment, and is done in 55 minutes. We did this workout in the conference room and used the stairwell and hallway for a warm-up. It was awesome! Try it out this weekend, let me know if you have any questions, and then let me know how it went. 😉 Enjoy the rest of the weekend and see y’all on Monday morning! CIAO!
Happy Friday! I’m beyond excited to have a guest post today from the fabulous Jess who is the author of the Blonde Ponytail! She’s a ROCK STAR! Her workouts are KILLER; her body is amazing; she is dedicated to health and fitness; and she owns a ridiculously adorable Golden Retriever. Make sure you check out her website and give this workout a try. You will not be disappointed! I hope that everyone has a fabulous weekend! Please make sure to stay hydrated and wear sunscreen. See y’all on Monday and let me know how you feel after trying this out! THANKS AGAIN JESS!
Hi She Rocks readers! I’m Jess and the author of Blonde Ponytail. I am so excited to “meet” you as Kathleen is one of my fitness and healthy living inspirations. She lives it, breathes it and owns it!
I’m a NSCA–CSCS and certified Spinning instructor. I work full-time in higher education but my husband and I just relocated for his job (he’s a college baseball coach) so I’m currently looking!
As a former collegiate athlete, I like being challenged and testing my limits even now. My philosophy with working out is the same. Go hard, give it your all, and reap the benefits.
I balance my HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts with of running and spinning—you can’t exert max effort all the time!
Kathleen asked me to share one of my favorite workouts. Because I am a runner first, I tend to incorporate sprints into many of my circuits. My husband and I did this workout while traveling; he is my best workout buddy!
Out of the ‘Box’ WOD (workout of the day)
Run 800m (.5 miles)
20 air squats
30 full sit-ups
Repeat 6 times
Workout totals: 3 miles, 60 push-ups, 120 squats, and 180 sit-ups.
If running isn’t your thing, I have plenty of at-home workouts for you too. Balance is key so don’t be a cardio queen without strengthening those muscles too.
Thank you for reading and feel free to contact me with questions or a friendly (virtual) visit!
HAPPY FRIDAY! I cannot believe that we are here again, but we are and let’s celebrate…with a NEW WORKOUT of course! HA! It’s been way too long since I’ve posted one. I did this yesterday and it only takes 1-Hour; requires a treadmill, jump rope, stability ball, and dumbbells; is perfect do inside during these insanely warm temperatures, either at your home or at the gym. There is a lot of focus on BALANCE and CORE…So give it a shot and let me know how it goes!
And after a workout like this, it is always important to refuel! If you have time to make a meal, then go for it. If you don’t, then you should reach for one of these bars! Chris was kind enough to send me a box of their different flavors and I LOVE them! They are ProBar’s first certified gluten free product and come in a variety of flavors. My favorite happens to be Chocolate Orange. In between clients, I’m usually in my car, so I will take a bar and a handful of almonds and I’m good to go, until I’m able to get home and make a meal. Great flavor, low in calories and sugar, simple ingredients, and packed with essential nutrients!
PROBAR is also glad extend a special one-time discount to YOU… just go to http://theprobar.com/shop and enter code “BLOGGER” at checkout and you’ll get 40% off their first order! High-Fives!
So try out the bars and more importantly try out this workout before you hit up the pool this weekend!
HAPPY FRIDAY and feel free to e-mail me with any questions, concerns, or reviews of the workout! I love hearing from all of you…See y’all on Monday!
It’s finally here…the long holiday weekend! Let’s jump up and give out some serious HIGH-FIVES! This week has been a weird one…Yes I’m grateful because I was busy with clients, but exhausting because the lack of sunshine (all week…seriously?), early mornings, and lack of sleep. I’m definitely going through a “no-sleeping” phase. Yep, those phases are not fun ones. So a long weekend is just what this girl needs. I’m taking some much needed rest days and I’m going to enjoy wine, good food, and hopefully pool time. Gosh darn that sounds heavenly!
Before you start your weekend, how about starting off the long weekend with this ROCKING workout! I’ve done this myself and did it with a client earlier this week. It’s AWESOME! 75 Minute body blasting, heart pumping, calorie scorching summer workout…Cheesy enough for you? Don’t think about it, just DO IT and let me know how it goes!
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and here’s to kicking off a great summer!Cannot wait to hear how all of yours went…See y’all next week! xoxo
What are you most looking forward to this Memorial Day weekend?
Oh Sundays…how I love thee! In a nutshell this is what my day looked like…
- Woke up early and had a delicious cup of coffee. I enjoy waking up early sometimes on the weekends. It’s quiet, peaceful, and I always end up getting a lot of work done. Love productive mornings;
- Fueled up on this AMAZING “Kale Microwave Muffin in a Jar”;
- Killer Leg Workout (see below);
- Coffee with a wonderful friend. So great to re-connect, gossip, and sit outside sipping good coffee;
- Retail Therapy…Love the goodies I bought! I did some damage at Gap and Bloomingdales;
- Soaked up the sun while putting together workouts;
- Prepped meals, workouts, schedule, and life for the week! High-Fives!
Need the #PROOF that this was a killer workout? Check out the picture below! I really challenged myself by lifting heavy and pushing my body. With only a few days left until the photo shoot, there are no excuses. The lunges were the hardest and left me out of breath. Loved it! Try it out this week at the gym. It’s supposed to be rainy here in Jersey for the rest of the week, so take it indoors and just do it. #noexcuses If you need another workout to add to your “to do list”, head on over to “A Dash of Meg” for my guest post! Have a great start to the week and see y’all on Wednesday!
Summer is almost here…ARE YOU READY? If not, kick off the weekend with this killer full body workout! All you need is a pair of dumbbells and a jump rope. If it’s a beautiful day where you are, then just do the 5 minute intervals of running outside. I did this on Wednesday and my CORE and LEGS were feeling it. Oh and this can all be completed in 60 minutes! #noexcuses
Some other great tips for getting ready for summer:
- Hydrate: Make sure you are drinking lots of water! Eliminate soda and sugary drinks that are adding extra unnecessary calories. If water bores you, make sure to add cucumbers, lemon, or frozen berries to add some fresh flavor! Or try seltzer!
- Prepare your Meals & Workouts: Spend some extra time on Sunday to prepare your meals and write out your workouts to keep you accountable, which will make it a lot harder to cheat or eat out.
- Cut back on sugar and salt! You might be surprised as to how much extra sugar and salt you are consuming, especially if you are eating out on a frequent basis. Flavored coffee drinks, alcohol, canned or processed foods can be the culprit for bloating, drowsiness, and sugar highs. Cut back and prepare your meals, so you know what you are eating! Your body and mind will thank you later.
- Lift heavier weights: Stop lifting those 2-5 lbs dumbbells and pick up some heavier weight! Increasing the workload builds more muscle that torches fat all day long. It will help you slim down and sculpt sexy strong muscles. What’s not to like about that?
- Sign up for a Event: This is a great way to stay motivated and get in shape! There are so many different races available these days, so there should be no excuses as to why you can’t find one, that fits your needs. Check out Dirty Girl Mud Run or Danskin Triathlon and get a group of your friends together and sign up for a fun challenge.
- Train Outside: Try to take some of your workouts outdoors to give you a mood boost, soak up some Vitamin D, and get a nice healthy glow. It’s a nice change up from the gym and you can still get a killer sweat session in.
Let me know how it went and how you are feeling tomorrow! I love hearing from all of you and feel free to ask any questions that you may have. Enjoy your FRIDAY and have a wonderful weekend!
I’m not really sure how it happened, but somehow we are already halfway through the week! Hello High-Fives! I feel oh so much better than I did a week ago. Thanks to lots of rest this weekend; a detoxifying yoga class; Vitamin D; and a abundant amount of greens (lots of greens in all of my meals, as seen below)…I’m 100% and have been going strong. It’s amazing what a few good nights of sleep can do for your mind and body! Pure heaven!
Let’s talk workouts and of course food, because it is Wednesday and thanks to Jenn for always hosting! I did a killer workout yesterday morning and it was “literally” kick butt and all done in a hour. You can totally do this workout at-home, outdoors, or in the gym. I used the gym, because I did 25 minutes on the Step Mill. My legs needed a break from the pavement. I also finished this workout with 3 sets of 15 on the leg extension and leg curl machine. Totally feeling it today!
Check out my green eats and the workout! Let me know if you have any questions and have a awesome Hump Day!
LOVED THIS WORKOUT!
Green Microwave Muffin with Almond Butter
Sauteed Vegetables with Goat Cheese and 2 Eggs
Apple and Fage Greek Yogurt
Asian Chicken Wrap with Broccoli Rabe
Yes it’s FRIDAY! You would never have guessed that it was the first week of Spring here in Jersey! It has felt like summer and I’m not complaining, rather rejoicing! Within a matter of days, the daffodils became full bloomed, the trees are budding, the grass is growing like weeds, and the temperatures have kept rising up almost into the 80’s. It’s been so nice to run in shorts and a tank, train most of my clients in their backyards, and have all the windows opened in my apartment. Bring me summer! Speaking of training outdoors and WORKOUTS….What better way to end the week with a Guest Post and a new workout that you can do anywhere??? Thanks to Bess she has put together a awesome workout, that you can do ANYWHERE! No excuses…Make it happen people and have a wonderful weekend!
Good morning all you wonderful readers of She Rocks Fitness! My name is Bess and I am the author of the fitness & food blog, Bess Be Fit. I am a former collegiate soccer player, current exercise fanatic, and a certified personal trainer. Katie did me the favor of writing a guest post for me when I was out of town a couple weeks ago and now I’m happy to return the favor!
As you already know, you can find tons of workouts and exercise inspiration on this blog. I am going to contribute to that! Below I have made up a “Do-Anywhere” workout that requires no equipment whatsoever and that you can do in your living room if you so choose! These kinds of workouts are my favorites to do in the morning because they are quick but still heart pumping and calorie burning.
Try this out and be sure to let both of us know how you like it! Feel free to stop on over to my blog and say hi!
Another Wednesday is upon us…It’s quite the dreary morning here in Jersey and I’m hoping that this fog lifts and the sun will come out to play later this afternoon. If it’s a yucky day where you are, try out my Terrific Tuesday Workout! It’s 60 minutes and includes a 30 minute treadmill workout + a 30 minute body blast circuit. It’s a sweaty mess, but feels great, and your body will thank you later! On that note, I’m off to Mommy Boot Camp! Check out my delicious eats and see y’all on Friday!
Thanks Jenn for always hosting and have a wonderful Hump Day!
- 1 scoop unflavored Natural Factors Whey Protein
- 1 c diced strawberries
- 1 egg
- 1 T Chia Seeds
- 2 T unsweetened almond milk + 2 splashes water
- 1/4 T baking powder + Cinnamon
- 1 “heaping” T of Woodstock Farms Unsalted Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Handful of spinach + cherry tomatoes + sprouts
- 1/4 c rinsed cannellinni beans
- 6 ounce can of tuna + 1 T of mayonnaise
- Spoonful of cherry peppers
- Diced skinless chicken breast
- Handful of lettuce + spinach + cherry tomatoes + sprouts
- 1/2 red pepper
- Sliced mushrooms
- 1 ounce Goat Cheese
- 1 T of roasted red pepper hummus
- Red Pepper Flakes + Garlic Powder + Italian Seasoning + Hot Sauce
Dessert:I love my sweet treats! Yes I’m a Personal Trainer and I eat cake, cupcakes, and anything covered in chocolate, but it is all in moderation and I enjoy every single bite! Life is too short to not eat and do the things you love…right? Enjoy the rest of the week and the beautiful warm temperatures! xoxo