2 NEW Meals in One Weekend…
Last week was pretty ridiculous and I’m blaming it all on the full moon! I’m just glad it is done and I can look forward to this week. A new day, a new week, and a new attitude! Right? With that being said, why not start off this Monday with two new recipes that I made on Friday and Sunday night. What better way to spend a freezing cold weekend with a hearty bowl of chili or a spicy bowl of noodles? Try out these two recipes and let me know how they turn out for you!
Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili with Sweet Potatoes: from Real Simple
I try to eat one vegetarian meal a week and a slow cooker recipe is usually an easy and healthy way to incorporate that into my diet. It’s also budget friendly! 🙂 I really enjoy looking at Real Simple for recipe ideas, because they have so many selections and the reviews are extremely helpful. I read the reviews for this recipe and the all around consensus was to saute the vegetables before putting them into the slow cooker, which I did. Whether or not it made a huge difference, I cannot say, but I’m sure it added some more flavor. So, if you have the time, go for it!
I LOVED this bowl of chili! I am a huge fan though of sweet potatoes and they were like candy! I pretty much got excited each time I had a a chunk on my spoon. It’s the little things, right? There was lots of flavor, texture, and it was very filling. I had this with some multi-grain tortilla chips and a side salad. I garnished my bowl with sliced black olives, cheese, and hot sauce. Lot of veggies going on! 😉
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green and red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T ground cumin
- 2 t unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 15.5 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Chopped olives, avocado, cheese, & sour cream to garnish!
- Saute the garlic, onion, and peppers with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper, for 10 minutes.
- Add to slow-cooker, along with the rest of the ingredients and put on low for 8 hours. Or you can do high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Garnish to your heart’s desire! 🙂
Serving Size: 4; Calories 240; Fat 2g; Sat Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 1217 mg; Protein 11g; Carbohydrate 47g; Sugar 13g; Fiber 13g; Iron 4 mg.
Asian Stir-Fry with Noodles
- 3 T of Crazy Richard’s Peanut Butter
- 3 T of rice wine vinegar
- 3 T of low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 T of water
- 1 bunch of broccoli
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms
- Thinly sliced steak
- Taste of Thai Asian Noodles
- In a bowl mix the PB, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and water.
- Place noodles in a pot and cover with hot tap water for 20 minutes. Then drain and add to the stir fry to cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Saute steak on high heat for 3-5 minutes, then set aside.
- Saute vegetables on high for 5 minutes.
- Add the steak back to the pan; add noodles; top with sauce. Cook for 3 minutes and serve.
What is your go-to budget friendly, healthy, and easy weekend meal?