Seared Scallops with Raw Corn and Shaved Zucchini Salad with Pesto
She Rocks Fitness is excited to have another amazing female join our regular blog posts! Amy and I went to school together way way way back in the day and she now currently lives in Boston with her husband, 8 month old baby girl Ellie, and Wrigley, the 2-year-old Bernese Mtn. Dog. Amy graduated from the University of Colorado at Boulder; then attended Johnson & Wales; worked for a catering business in Boston; then worked for the Ritz Carlton in Chicago; and then started her own catering business Savory to Sweet. Make sure to check out her site and try this recipe tonight! Thanks Amy and we look forward to hopefully more delicious recipes in the future.
- 1 dozen sea scallops
- 2 ears corn
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- chives, chopped
- salt and pepper, tp taste
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups basil leaves (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
1. Cut the corn off the 2 cob and place kernels in a small mixing bowl.
2. Add the cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and chopped chives.
4. Season with salt and pepper and toss lightly with your favorite vinaigrette.
For the scallops:
1. Pat dry the scallops with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in non stick pan.
3. Add the scallops and sear for 4-5 minutes, until golden crust forms. Turn scallops once and continue to cook until done, another 4-5 minutes.
For the pesto:
1. Combine all ingredients except oil in blender. Buzz until combined
2. Stream in oil until desired consistency.
*This makes 3/4 cup pesto with 58 calories
Hint: Go light on the pesto, especially if store bought…They are usually heavy on cheese and oil. Homemade is always best because you can control what you’re adding. A simple herb oil is also fine for this and a lot lighter.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or (973) 978-7359.