Healthy Snacks for Longer Workouts: By Lauren
She Rocks Fitness is happy to have Lauren write another post this Monday morning on more great snack ideas before longer workouts. Make sure to try them out sometime this week and feel free to share your thoughts about how you felt. She Rocks Fitness wants to hear from you. Enjoy and here’s to a great week of hard workouts and healthy eating!
A few good examples of snacks for exercise lasting longer than an hour would be:
- A piece of sprouted grain Ezekiel toast spread with 1 Tbs nut or seed (such as hemp or pumpkin) butter topped with a drizzle of agave and sprinkle cinnamon
- 1 serving of oatmeal cooked with 1 banana and topped with 2 Tbs walnuts and/or 1 Tbs freshly ground flax seeds
- 1 6-oz container of fruit juice sweetened low or non fat yogurt with 2-4 Tbs low sugar granola and 1/2 of a sliced banana or 1/4 C sliced strawberries or fresh blueberries
- 1/2 toasted whole grain bagel topped with 1-2 Tbs low fat cream cheese served with 4 – 8 oz. orange juice
- 1 C whole grain cereal topped with low-fat milk or almond milk and 2 Tbs chopped nuts and/or 1 Tbs ground flax seeds
As I mentioned last week, these are some great ideas to start with, but begin to experiment with what works for you. A well composed snack would contain 1-2 servings of carbohydrates from a whole grain source, 1 serving of carbohydrates from a fruit, and a 1/2 serving of fat to give you lasting energy.
Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or comments. Next week I’ll be back with snack ideas for exercise lasting longer than 3 hours for endurance event training or just plain fun!
Contact me at email@example.com or (973) 978-7359.